Thursday, November 10, 2016

Another Room



From "Dummy Parade"

Another Room by Sidney Gish

"She has a fantastic sound and deserves more attention."

I always love to read what the artists say about their music. In this case, Gish says "i kept adding more shit to this and i still dont like it despite all the layers of bs." Not promising.

But I guess it paid off to set the bar low, because I was pleasantly surprised by this track. 

The accompaniment seems a little confused at times, especially at around :12 when the second guitar first joins in with that repeating riff. But your ear gets used to it, and the sound starts to feel cleaner as other sounds layer on top of it. 

Especially the vocal line.

Gish's voice is sweet, and the lyrics are sweeter. 

I read it as a song about a girl who has a crush. She spends all her time watching this crush, trying to get close to them...but they're always in another room. You know? Like...it isn't necessarily on purpose, even. It's just fate or God or whatever.

Or maybe it's not about the narrator. It doesn't matter if this "I" person has a crush or not; the main character is the girl in the next room. So to speak. Maybe it's a metaphor to show how lonely and disconnected this girl is. It's a study of how she's extraordinary but doesn't see it; she's always trying to fit in and be who she's "supposed" to be with that perfume and those those beautiful and brand new clothes and heels clacking on the marble. And it's hard.

Caged birds fly but she wouldn't even try. Because she doesn't know anything except the cage.

I don't know. But it's a really cute song. Makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy.

Overview:

Genre:
Alternative / Indie Folk

Favorite Lyrics:
My my I guess it's true that caged birds fly
But given the chance I'm not sure if you'd try 

Verdict:
even if you make shitty scrappy music, you're still making music, and if you make some album art and haphazardly glue all those songs together, it's legit - Sidney Gish (x)

No comments:

Post a Comment