Saturday, November 5, 2016

Here Comes the Sun


Why Am I Like This

Here Comes the Sun by The Beatles

This has actually been recommended a couple of times.

I felt like it was finally the right time to do this song. Because I have stayed up way too late for a majority of the last two weeks, and so the whole here comes the sun thing really resonates with me. It has been my mantra, really, as I work on projects and finish essays well into the wee hours of the morning.

I'll be in bed working on my concluding paragraph, and I see the sky getting brighter outside my window, and I'm just like it's all right...it's all right...this is fine. (And then, of course, after I finish the classwork, I have to write a post for this blog.)

Actually, though, this song is pure and lovely.

The melody is based in the pentatonic scale, and the rhythm does some wild things involving the time signature that I can't even attempt to explain. The sun sun sun, here it comes part "has been described as taking 'on the quality of oa meditator's mantra'" (x).

Despite all that, the song's charm lies in its simplicity. You're not thinking about the tri-plagal progression with an extra V7 or the way it switches out of 4/4 time into a sequence of 11/8 + 4/4 + 7/8 in the bridge (x). You're just like...Wow, sounds nice. Sun is warm. Makes me happy.

Overview:

Genre:
Folk Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
It's all right.

Verdict:
so pure

No comments:

Post a Comment