Sunday, November 13, 2016

You and I


So Sorry, Uncle: I Tried

You and I by Exit Mindbomb

"You said you were excited to review songs you haven't heard and I have plenty of those."

Thanks, dude. Keep 'em coming.

(Note: If you click the link attached to "Exit Mindbomb" above, you can hear a cleaner version of the song on their website.)

Okay, so...this song isn't really my style, but hear me out. If I'd heard it about eight years ago, it would have felt right at home in my iPod. Sure, it would have been on the edge of the darker side of my music tastes, but it would have fit nonetheless.

The opening of the track features soft, heavily filtered vocals, but it quickly picks up with heavy guitars and vocals that toe the line between singing and screaming. Eventually, there are sections that cross that border quite clearly.

The track is volatile, fluctuating between quiet phrases and wild ones. It sounds passionate. And it sounds angry. This is compounded by the language:

I feel like f***** it away and maybe saying some s*** - s*** I know that I'll regret if you would ever admit it.

What does that even mean? I don't know.

It all moves towards a logical conclusion, though. The track runs all over the volume scale, but it really has on distinct arch that builds up to the final passage, which is a barely-intelligable bout of screaming that ends in maniacal laughter, which cuts off quite abruptly.

It's a pretty good representation of anger, tbh.

It begs you to think about what is happening, but then gives up and literally says f*** it before launching into a sarcastic rant about how everything is normal...as it never could be.

I'm...still not that into it. But I can appreciate what they're doing here. It's some kinda sound.

Overview:

Genre:
Progressive Rock, Alt Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
How did we become
so comfortably numb?

Verdict:
came into my life at the wrong time

No comments:

Post a Comment