Friday, July 29, 2016

Where is the Love?


Throwback Thursday

Where is the Love? by The Black Eyed Peas

"Considering the tragic losses over the past few weeks, I find myself asking, "Where is the love?" I hope this world finds peace."

I love this song.

First of all, it brings me back to elementary school because my two best friends in third grade knew how to rap the entire thing, and we listened to it all the time.

But also, it's an amazing song. That's probably why it was for both Record of the Year and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 2004 Grammys (x).

I mean, okay. The intro peaceful, with the little sound of plucked strings. Then you go into the iconic riff that repeats behind the bulk of the rap, all of which is delivered spectacularly. There's not a single word that I can't understand.

And I'm glad it's easy to catch all the lyrics, because they're so, so good.

There's nothing poetic or clever or rhythmically exciting about the rap, but it's talking about real issues that are just as important today as they were when this song came out in 2003.

Ron Fair actually first started working on this track in 2001, responding to 9/11. Will.i.am added the
"socially-conscious lyrics" (x). Which is, like...all of it? I'm not sure what that means actually. From the first couple lines about media sensationalism and anti-war sentiments to the last lines about xenophobia, this thing is made of very little other than socially-conscious lyrics.

Still, the track manages to call out society for engendering racism, violence, corruption, inequality, and cultural insensitivity while still keeping up a generally positive vibe. Maybe we if ask Where is the love? enough, we'll eventually find it.

If you're interested in a critical look at this song relative to Generation Y (aka Millennials), I recommend this brief review: (x) I was going to draw quotes, but then I liked the whole thing.

Fun Fact: This track is from the first Black Eyed Peas album in which Fergie had joined the group.

Overview:

Genre:
Hip-Hop

Favorite Lyrics:
But if you only have love for you own race,
Then you only leave space to discriminate,
And to discriminate only generates hate.


If you never known truth, then you never know love.

Verdict:
Not sure how it's so optimistic when it talks about everything wrong with the world?? But it makes me feel pretty good anyway??? Like, we can fix this maybe??

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this song๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    Took my three treasures to this concert! Michael caught drumstick๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    Good memories and lovely song.
    Always enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete