Wednesday, July 13, 2016

No Vaseline


Forget Subtweets; Come @ Me

No Vaseline by Ice Cube

Recommended by Robert E.

"Love old school battle rap, and this is the ultimate battle song. Aimed at his former crew and manager, Ice Cube holds nothing back. On its own the song is quite crude. For those that know the history the song is one slam after another."

I'm glad you sent this in because I have no experience with old school battle rap. If you asked about diss tracks, the only one I could name would be Drake's Back to Back.

You're right that this is named at "his former crew and manager," and it's no secret. He straight up name-drops N.W.A. at about 30 seconds into the track. For the record, they started it.

Anyway, this is a little vulgar for me, but I have to admit some of these lines are incredibly clever. Plus, the fact that it's battle rap is a pretty good indicator that it wasn't going to be easy listening, and the name No Vaseline gives a clear sign that we're looking at some sexual innuendo.

I like the beat, the rhythms, the rhymes. I like the way it jumps right into it without any intro whatsoever. And I respect the straightforwardness - this is not subtle shade. This is past passive and straight into aggressive.

Again, not my style of communication. But I can appreciate it.

I'm less appreciative of the politically incorrectness, though I'm sure some would tell me to stop being oversensitive. Which, you know, whatever.

Interestingly, when this song appears in the Death Row Greatest Hits album (Death Row Records is a record company), word "Jew" is censored (x).
We're not asking Ice Cube to mask the reality of the streets. By all means, flag the social problems, but don't exploit them by turning a professional spat between a former manager and an artist into a racial dispute. (source)
In response, Ice Cube said, "It's wrong for the rabbi to call me anti-Semitic. I respect Jewish people because they're unified. I wish black people were as unified."

Unfortunately but unsurprisingly, I found no comment on the ubiquitous use of homophobic slurs.

P.S. If you really want to understand this song, I suggest watching Straight Outta Compton. It's a very well-acted biopic that addresses subjects that are still relevant today. Plus if you dig this song, you'll dig that whole soundtrack.

Overview:

Genre:
Hip Hop

Favorite Lyrics:
Callin' me Arnold, but you been-a-dick.

Verdict:
need some ice cubes for that burn

1 comment: