Saturday, July 9, 2016

Hands to Myself


Heart Emoji

Hands to Myself by Selena Gomez

"This song is just so catchy! Can't get it out of my head!!!"

This song is a massive comeback story for me.

When I first listened to Revival, I was underwhelmed with the whole album. Months later, I am still not crazy about all of the songs, but I am entirely in love with all of the singles. If anyone else feels the same, we can call that a success for Selena.

Even though I love this song now, I didn't think it was particularly special when I first heard it. I mean, we've got some breathy vocals, a catchy but not entirely infectious melody, and a very understated accompaniment.

To be fair, I heard it for the first time in a commercial. I think it was for Pantene.

Okay, guys. The Wikipedia article for this song is super long and extremely complementary, so maybe I'm missing something. But one thing I will never argue with:
 Some critics viewed the song's "I mean I could but why would I want to?" line as one of the best moments in pop music in 2015.
That line changed my life.

Rock on, Selena.

Overview:

Genre:
Dance-Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Your metaphorical gin and juice

Verdict:
party song

1 comment:

  1. Okay but for real that one line is what got me hooked! Like when I saw her on carpool karaoke dancing around and that part came on I was like omg I wanna dance along too!!

    ReplyDelete