Friday, July 15, 2016

Artist Spotlight: Kamran & Hooman

Tonight's post is a little different.

I received not one, not two, but five song recommendations from a single artist. There were a couple different ways I could have dealt with this. I could have listened to the tracks and chosen the best one for my blog, or I could have spread them throughout the rest of the year.

In order to maximize new song exposure while also (hopefully) avoiding artist fatigue, I settled upon an "Artist Spotlight." 

About the Artist:

Kamran & Hooman are a sibling duo that perform in in both Persian and English.

"Okay but seriously, these brothers are one of my favorite Persian bands and really some of my favorite artists in general...Also...Kamran and Hooman are freaking gorgeous." - Ciera D. 

Now, the music.

Fereshteye Nejat (Saving Angel)


"This song is one of their most beautiful to date. At its core, it's a cheesy love song, but the lyrics are so beautiful...Although some heart and feeling is definitely lost in translation from Farsi to English...It's basically about how much someone's significant other means to them and how they saved them from their darkest time. Kamran & Hooman are pretty much calling this love their savior or guardian angel who brought them back from the brink.

And, as if the lyrics weren't enough, the music and composition is fabulous." - Ciera D.

You arrived like a miracle.

Khaali (Empty)

(song begins at 1:17)

"This is my second favorite ballad from this duo because, once again, the lyrics are so beautiful. And, again, some is lost in translation. But the gist of the song is that the singer feels empty without the love of his life in his world anymore, and he's spent all this time trying to convince her how much he loves her and how important she is to him. 

But what really does it for me is the music video: the story there is of a young child who misses his grandpa, and the whole video revolves around the family's love for their dad/grandpa/father-in-law.

Also, they hit some pretty crazy notes in this song. Super incredible." - Ciera D.

They definitely do hit some crazy notes. This track in particular highlights the ends of words and phrases. Focus on the vocal majesty of those riffs. These guys complete mini riffs beautifully, bending the note slightly in ways that we don't hear often in Western tradition.

Man Ageh Nabasham (If I Wasn't Here)


"This one has really nice lyrics, too. I keep saying that about all these songs, but it's true.

But the reason I like this song is the beat. Like, when they sang this one live at the concert I went to recently, the whole club was jumping. No joke. And they sing it with such emotion. Seriously, I love these guys." - Ciera D.

I hear what you're saying about the beat from the first second of this song. I'm imagining strobe lights and smoke and a general rave atmosphere. It screams for a remix with louder bass and more cowbell funky techno sounds.

20


"Once again, a good 'dance to the beat' song. This is their newest song, and I love it so much. It makes me wanna dance. I couldn't find an English translation, but this track doesn't really need one because it's all about the beat.

Quick cultural note: In Iran, the grading system is on a scale from 1 to 20, so when they say you're a 20, that means they're the highest mark you could get in school. It's like calling a girl here an A+."

This is my favorite out of the five. That beat is fun and draws from Latin styles. It sounds like Salsa, right? I dig it.

Man Toro Mikham (I Want You)


"Okay, last Persian rec for tonight. This is literally one of the most recognized Persian songs in Iran, and the brothers haven't even set foot there since 1983. If you go to any Persian party or gathering or wedding, this is the first song they play to get everyone up and dancing.

It's just such a dance-y song for us, you know? Like, the beat is on point, and it's one of those songs that's so easy to sing to your friend, your significant other, the hot guy you've been eyeing across the room...whoever. Like, it's an unspoken thing where every Iranian in the world knows the lyrics to this song - it's so instantly recognizable.

The whole song is basically repeating how the singer wants you because you know his heart and his soul and you're kind. He doesn't want the other girls, the most beautiful girls and the most legendary girls who are out of this world. He only wants you." - Ciera D.

Okay, first of all - I feel a little affronted that he wants me, but he doesn't think that I'm one of the most beautiful girls or the most legendary girls who are out of this world. I mean, please.

But, yeah, I'd dance to this at a wedding. I hate when you're out on the dance floor and they play a song that is impossible to dance to. Yikes.

So what do you think? Do you feel well-versed in Kamran & Hooman? I don't know that I'm going to do anymore of these, but I enjoyed it. This is way more comprehensive than the singles situation that's been going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment