Thursday, July 21, 2016

Only You


And You Alone

Only You by Yazoo

Recommended by Mom

"This song makes me think of my sophomore year in college when I lived with my friend Liz....this is one of those songs we sang and danced to every time we heard it...it's soooo 80s! But this song came on the speakers as we walked  around the Bellagio hotel a couple weeks ago when we were celebrating your 21st birthday, and it just made me laugh out loud as it made me think about the fun times back when I was close to turning 21 myself! 😊"

I've noticed a recurring theme with these song recs - people like music that reminds them of happy times. And why wouldn't they? I'm sure in 20 years, I'll be thinking back to the year when I listened to nothing but Hotline Bling and What Do You Mean?

Dramatic as it is, I like this song a lot.

Vince Clarke wrote a melody that "has a sweet, yearning quality, elegantly arranged...in a fashion that links several different monophic synths together to give the tune more depth and melodic substance."

This, combined with "gentle and romantic lyrics" as well as a "perfectly understated vocal performance, soulful yet dignified," makes for an incredible piece of music that transcends generations (x).

I think one excellent marker of a truly timeless piece is the existence of covers.

Sure, an original recording can last for decades, but if it's truly amazing, you'd expect younger artists to pick upon the track. In the case of Only You, we have a bunch of other wonderful versions.

The Flying Pickets released a mostly a cappella (plus a few synthesizers) arrangement only a year or two after the original came onto the scene. It replaced the tech-y intro with a sweet, repeating ba da da dum. I find the arrangement to be rather dissonant and cluttered, but it sounds like it comes straight from the heart.


In 1997, Enrique Iglesias released a Spanish version of the track. He later covered the song in English, as well, for his Bailamos Greatest Hits album.

Perhaps the lyrics are so simple, I find the song to be even more enjoyable in Spanish. After listening to the song in English, I'm not worried about losing anything in translation. I just focus entirely on the melody and Enrique's vocals.


Finally, we have the version by Kylie Minogue and James Corden.

This version threw me off because I forgot the James Corden - the hilarious host of The Late Late Show - actually has a good voice, but it's honestly really good.

They turned Only You into a Christmas song, of all things, and they made it work.


The harmonies here are stunning, and their voices are filled with all the warmth you could ever need during the holiday season. They don't change the lyrics to reflect snowflakes or fireplaces or anything, yet you somehow feel season's greetings. Don't ask me how.

Hope this journey was as enlightening for you as it was for me.

Overview:

Genre:
'80s Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
It's like a story of love - can you hear me?

Verdict:
absolute sweetest

1 comment:

  1. Love love love it!! Loved hearing the different covers of this song...such fun memories for me. 😍👍

    ReplyDelete