Friday, July 29, 2016

Welcome to England


Prayers

Welcome to England by Tori Amos

Recommended by Sherry A.

"I've always liked Tori Amos, but it had been a while since I'd listened to her music. Then, as I was waiting for book 2 of Deborah Harkness's 'All Souls Trilogy' - Shadow of Night, I found this song on her website. It was so cool. I had never known an author to recommended songs that she was listening to and which were inspiring her as she wrote! So, to say the least, these songs inspired me as I anxiously awaited book 2.

I can't listen to this song without being transported back to this very cool love story (fantasy, witch, vampire, sure - but still a love story). I also just really liked the way this song makes me feel hope you like it, too!"

I've only known one author to do that, and it was actually Stephenie Meyer, author of The Twilight Saga. As I'm sure you're aware, that's also a love story with vampires.

Coincidence? Probably.

Anyway, I always thought that was so cool to listen to the same songs that she listened to while she wrote her novels. It made me feel closer to the story.

It's funny that I finally read your submission tonight because I was just talking to my friend today about how cool it would be if books came with soundtracks. Considering how popular e-readers and kindles and such have become, it wouldn't be that crazy to have some nice instrumentals that go along with certain pages of the novel, tied to certain characters or events. Mood music.

For me, that's one of the major advantages of television programs and movies over books. A good bit of background music can be so, so powerful.

That's what this Tori Amos song serves as for the All Souls Trilogy, when you put it into context.

It's the Shadow of Night main theme.

The song has an interesting sound. The video above features grainy shots of England, and I think that "grainy" could also describe the music. That word works better for visual stuff, but do you know what I mean? It's got that low-production vibe.

Tori Amos has a unique voice, and it fits in well with the haze of the background instrumentals. They sound, like...blurry? I can't get the visual adjectives out of my mind for some reason. Allmusic uses the word "drifting" (x). I think it's because you've got guitars and keyboard but also electronic sounds.

It sounds like you've kept the damper pedal on the piano pressed down for too long. But it's like there was a damper pedal sustaining every note in the whole song, not just the keyboard.

The lyrics continue the theme of, like, fuzziness.

They're vague, but you can still make out the meaning in them. Tori Amos explained that the main themes are "love, departure, and family" (x).

The song is about "a woman who has left everything...to start a new life with her lover." Amos says this was directly inspired by her husband, who wanted them to move to England (x).

Overview:

Genre:
Alt Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
You better bring your own sun, sweet girl.
You gotta bring your own sun.

Verdict:
mystical

No comments:

Post a Comment