Sunday, July 31, 2016

Friends


Way to Go, Man

Friends ft. Bon Iver and Kanye West by Francis and the Lights

Recommended by Crews

"Optimistic, original, snazzy bassline, positive lyrics, underappreciated artists (especially Francis), really cool music video, cosign from Chance & Kanye"

Bon Iver and Francis are certainly well-matched on this track. While I won't pretend to be overly familiar with either of their voices, I think it's difficult on the first listen to tell where one voice starts and the other begins.

I say to mean that they sound good together in their duet sections and that they sound similar. The song starts off with Bon Iver, and Francis doesn't come in until the hook: We could be friends.

I can't hear it, but apparently Kanye West adds his voice to Francis's the second time we hear that hook. Then Justin Vernon from Bon Iver comes back, this time joined by Francis, for the third repetition.

I'm not surprised that Bon Iver is featured on this track, as the ambiance is exactly what I've come to expect from them. But the beat is a little more lit.

I don't know if I agree that this track is "optimistic," though.

To me, Friends is about the aftermath of a breakup. This guy is still in love with his ex, but he's willing to just be friends so that he can stay in this girl's life. It's bittersweet.

But I guess it could also just be about friends. In that case, yeah, I guess they are "positive lyrics."

Genius has commentary on the lyrics, and it has official annotations by Francis and the Lights if you're interested.

Anyway, yeah. I really dig this track.

Overview:

Genre:
uhhh new age indie pop

Favorite Lyrics:
Don't wanna know if you made mistakes.
I'm still waiting on your sunshine.

I was waiting on a different story.

Verdict:
it's all good though

1 comment:

  1. watching justin dance has been the highlight of my life tbh

    ReplyDelete