Sunday, July 17, 2016

It's Been Awhile


A Long While

It's Been Awhile by Staind

Recommended by Sherry A.

"This song is powerful. One of my favorites."

I'm not familiar with Staind, but I've definitely heard this song before. Apparently it's their "most successful" and "best-known" track - as well as the only non-metal song on this album, so that makes sense (x).

I agree that the song is powerful.

The guitar and slow, heavy drum beat form the perfect backdrop for the lead singer's passionate vocal performance.

Singer Aaron Lewis wrote this track from reflections on his own past, including references to his drug abuse and failed relationships, both romantic and familial (x).

Like any good song, however, the music transcends the concrete subject matter as each individual hears it. You don't have to have had an addiction or gone through a divorce to understand the feelings of inadequacy discussed in these lyrics.

No one should ever have to relate to that line It's been awhile since I can say I love myself as well, and yet I'm sure most people have felt that way at some point.

The strongest thread running through this song, though, is responsibility.

The consequences that I render.
I stretched myself beyond my means.


I've gone and f***ed things up just like I always do.

As f***ed up as it all may seem to be, I know it's me.
I cannot blame this on my father.

I hope he's found his way back to that place where he can hold his head up high. I'm sure this song has helped others find their way back as well.

Overview:

Genre:
Post-Grunge Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
It's been awhile,
But I can still remember just the way you taste.

Verdict:
tw feelings

No comments:

Post a Comment