Monday, July 18, 2016

Chainsaw


One More Reminder You're Gone, You're Gone Tonight

Chainsaw by Nick Jonas

"I recently discovered this song and cannot get it out of my head! I love the way the lyrics just mesh and slide into each other. The message of the song is pretty depressing but so real and said in a beautiful way. "

I agree that the content of the song is depressing, but I also think there's a ray of hope shining through it. Sure it'll take a while, but at least he knows he's gotta find a way to be okay eventually. Right now he's thinking through some violent, unhealthy ways that he could deal with his grief - chainsaws and alcohol and rebound flings - but it's gonna get better.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Easy for me to say, right? I'm not the one with my heart broken.

As for the comments on the beauty of the lyrics - I feel you. I love the slant rhyme between sofa and close for as well as china and reminder. Some call half rhymes like that "lazy," but I think it sounds a lot more natural, especially in a song like this.

Nick Jonas calls this track "one of [his] most vulnerable songs of the album" and "the most personal song [he] has ever written." It was based on his breakup with Olivia Culpo (x).

As such a deeply personal song, it would probably do really well if it was stripped down completely. You hear those chords in the beginning...now imagine that's all you hear underneath Nick's vocals. Him and a piano. Highlight the vulnerability.

Then at the bridge - complete silence. Nick's voice, a cappella.

I'm just saying.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
We gotta find a way to be okay.

Verdict:
Breakups are complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment