Friday, September 16, 2016

Youth


He Took My Childhood In His Stride

Youth by Troye Sivan

Recommended by YouTube

...I mean, kind of.

The song was part of a pre-roll advertisement, and I couldn't get this one line out of my head: And when the lights start flashing like a photo booth...

You know how it is when you have just a single line of a song stuck in your head. It's distracting and annoying and the only way to get rid of it is to listen to the full song.

I thought that it was an Apple commercial, but I haven't been able to find it again since I first came across it a few weeks ago. Now I'm thinking maybe it wasn't for Apple. I don't know. If anyone hears Youth in an ad, send me the link.

(Don't send me the Sweet Tarts or the YouTube ads because I've already seen them and they're not the ones I'm looking for.)

Anyway, some ad brought me to this song, and I'm so glad because I love it now.

It's easy to get into because it starts out with several repetitions of that what if, what if, what if - which is not only an easy phrase to remember, but it also gets me immediately interested in the content.

I don't know, Troye Sivan. What if - ?

And of course he never really answers it, but you never really expected him to.

I think the answer is that...if you run away, left today, etc....then you would have FUN.

This is one of my favorites out of all the songs that share this message - the message being, I guess... love deeply, seize the day, live while you're young (via One Direction), and mess up while you can.

Sivan himself made a nice comment on the meaning of this song (love when that happens):

Youth is a song about the joy in naivety and being lost. It's about dropping everything, running away, making mistakes, and loving too hard, and how that's okay. (source)

Well said <3

More than anything, I just genuinely enjoy listening to this song. It puts me in a good mood, from the lyrics to the beat to the melody. Even if it's wistful in that we know youth doesn't last forever, it's a happy song.

Overview:

Genre:
Electropop

Favorite Lyrics:
Cross your fingers,
here we go.

Verdict:
Apparently I'm really into electropop now, so I dig it; and the message is timeless, always going to speak to young people of any generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment