Sunday, September 4, 2016

Addict with a Pen


If There Were Water and No Rock;
If There Were Rock and Also Water

Addict with a Pen by twenty one pilots

Recommended by Catie

"twenty one pilots is my life I'm sorry :'D"

I like this track.

The juxtaposition of sand and water, the desert and drought, reminded me instantly of Numbers 20. That's the one where Moses draws water from the rock for the Israelites and their livestock.

I also decided to jump to a Biblical reading of these lyrics because they mention that they haven't been the best of sons, which could be a reference to Jesus or the speaker himself, since we're all God's children.

Later we hear You hear me screaming, "Father," and I'm lying here just crying, so wash me with your water. If that's not a reference to prayer and purification, then I don't know what is.

I like the musical juxtapositions as well.

Piano-led with a smattering of electronic sounds in the B section. Slow phrases and sustained notes in the A section followed by a quick rap section.

This sound, which many find difficult to categorize into a single genre, has really been working for them. Twenty One Pilots recently became the third rock act (after Elvis and The Beatles) to have two singles in the Top 5 of the Hot 100 at the same time (x).

(The two singles are Heathens from the Suicide Squad soundtrack and Ride from their own album, Blurryface.)

Thanks for the rec :)

Overview:

Genre:
Indie Pop + Alt Hip Hop

Favorite Lyrics:
As I hold the water
in the palm of my hand.

Verdict:
you are getting verrrrrrry sleeeeeeepy


No comments:

Post a Comment