Monday, September 5, 2016

My Man


He's a Tramp

My Man by Billie Holiday

Recommended by Kim

"I love how much history this song has! So many great artists have sung their unique renditions of this originally French piece: singers from Diana Ross and Barbra Streisand to Lea Michele and Regina Spektor. But last month, I was on a Billie Holiday kick, and I really do like her version best."

Okay, wow.

I wish the lyrical content of this song wasn't so upsetting - she's in love with an abusive man who sees other women - but music is allowed to tackle tough topics.

Anyway, this performance is breathtaking.

The tempo is almost painfully slow, but it wouldn't work any other way. It keeps it interesting, since the track is pretty minimalist with just Billie Holiday's voice and a piano - albeit a rather complex piano part.

I wonder how often Holiday practiced with her accompanist because I can't imagine that they could be so in sync on a whim. The phrasing is just so.

Let's also talk about Holiday's vocals, incredible despite lack of any real training (x). She bends almost every note, stretching them way off-pitch, yet it still somehow works. Talent.

Can't you just imagine sitting in a speakeasy, almost exactly a century ago (this song was written in France in 1916, just four years before prohibition took effect in the U.S.), listening to a jazz singer perform this piece? Nothing but her and her pianist claiming the attention of everyone in the bar?

The mood is just so thoroughly set.

It's hard to imagine that people actually listened casually to this kind of music, because it makes me think immediately of men in Gatsby-style panama hats smoking cigars and drinking moonshine.

Oh, and since you mentioned Diana Ross doing a cover of the track, I think it's worth noting that Ross recorded My Man "for the film Lady Sings the Blues, in which she portrayed Billie Holiday" (x).

Overview:

Genre:
Jazz / Blues

Favorite Lyrics:
When he takes me in his arms,
the world is bright, alright.

Verdict:
the epitome of classy bar music

P.S. This is basically the same thing in musical style as well as lyrical content:

1 comment:

  1. OMG what in the world??? Remember I said I had a strange urge to watch Lady & the Tramp last night??? I hadn't even read this review yet. How crazy.
    Thanks for the commentary!

    ReplyDelete