Sunday, September 18, 2016

Fireflies


Beep Bop Boop

Fireflies by Owl City

This song always puts me at ease.

I mean, it did back in high school. I haven't listened to it in like four years, so thanks to whoever submitted this throwback.

My friends actually gave me a lot of crap for liking Owl City back in the day, but I refused to let go of it. Their hatred only fueled my passion, and I ended up downloading the rest of the album (Ocean Eyes) purely out of spite.

It should be noted that Fireflies spent two weeks on top of the Billboard Hot 100 which, while it doesn't say anything about the song's value as art, provides inarguable proof that a bunch of other people liked it just as much as I did. (x)

To be fair, it may also be noted that the music video premiered exclusively on MySpace (x).

Anyway, if my friends' taunts didn't keep me from liking this song, then nothing could.

Usually, when I set a song as my alarm, it ruins it completely, but Fireflies survived. I think it's because it opens with the softest of synth riffs, which eases you out of slumber ever-so-gently.

The track opens with a line that sounds like bubbles popping, if bubbles had pitch. It's some soothing, underwater type stuff that prepares your ears for the most comfortable and inoffensive series of tones they will ever experience.

That might not work for you if you're a heavy sleeper, but I like it better than harsh alarm noises.

...Oddly enough, I not only woke up to this song, but I also fell asleep to it.

Writer Adam Young called Fireflies "a little song about bugs and not being able to fall asleep at night" (x). There's nothing like a track about insomnia to help you overcome it.

Overview:

Genre:
Electronica

Favorite Lyrics:
It's hard to say I'd rather stay awake when I'm asleep.

Verdict:
Soothing...the whimsical lyrics provide vivid imagery of dancing lightning bugs, and it feels like a bedtime story...in a good way

No comments:

Post a Comment