Monday, September 26, 2016

Dawn


Swipe Right

Dawn, composed by Dario Marianelli and performed by pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet

from the soundtrack to Pride and Prejudice (2005)

(the one with Keira Knightley)

"The visual and audio of this movie can convert anyone into a romantic that is made breathless by a sunrise and would cringe at the thought of online dating."

I have to push back a bit against that dig at online dating, just because I can 100% imagine myself sitting cross-legged on a cushioned throne, sipping wine from a crystal goblet with my left hand and passing judgment on my many suitors by swiping left with my right.

But I get your meaning.

I'm overjoyed that you recommended this song, actually. This soundtrack is stunning and widely acclaimed. It was nominated for an Oscar for Best Achievement for Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score, and it won a European Film Award and two World Soundtrack Awards.

Including the accolades listed above, the composer Marianelli has been nominated for three Academy Awards and two Golden Globes, winning one of each.

The soundtrack to this film brings back memories for me because I was very much into Pride and Prejudice during high school. I remember watching the thing countless times, and what stuck with me more than Jane Austen's dramatic characters was the soundtrack. I ended up going out and buying the sheet music so I could try to recreate it, be like Mary.

One of my favorite things about the music in this movie is that it transitioned seamlessly between diegetic and non-diegetic presentations.

That is, sometimes the music would be played on-screen by, say, Mary, with the characters all very aware of the source; and other times, it would be what we come to expect from "background" music, with no in-universe source.

This particular track is a lovely piano piece that Elizabeth Bennett herself plays, rather reluctantly, on the pianoforte at the home of Lady Catherine de Bourgh: here.

I've always liked the song's simplicity. I like the slow start that builds to something louder and faster and somewhat more complex, like a rose unfolding or the sun rising. And I like the ending which always leaves me with a perfect sense of calm.

Guess I have to go watch the movie now.

Overivew:

Genre:
Soundtrack / Instrumental

Verdict:
peaceful, elegant

1 comment: