Saturday, September 24, 2016

Better Together


Don't Let Your Dreams Be Dreams

Better Together by Jack Johnson

Recommended by Uncle Manny

"Jack Johnson's songs always seem to get my attention. His voice just oozes chill... Sherry and I were just sitting in the living room relaxing and listening to Amazon Music playlists and this song came on. As per usual, his voice caught my attention and so I started listening to the lyrics more closely and this song just describes Sherry and me to a tee. I began to tear up as the song went on, and felt the need to share it with you. I hope you like it..."

This song put me in such a good mood! I'm glad you decided to share it. Finding love like the one depicted in this song - like the one you and Aunt Sherry have - is all we can really ask for.

As you said, his voice "oozes chill," but the relaxed vibe carries over into the instrumentals as well. He plays nothing but the acoustic guitar and a bit of harmonica. In the guitar line, you can hear hints of the song Heart and Soul, the classic which is often heard as a beginner piano duet, which he samples conservatively (x).

(I love that he uses that song. It's a kind of musical allusion, since the 1938 Hoagie Carmichael song Heart and Soul touches on the same themes of deep, long-lasting love and adoration.)

There's an endearing simplicity in his voice, his songwriting style, his name, and his lyrics.

(Johnson was born and raised in Hawaii, where he had a short stint as a pro surfer, which probably contributes to that laid-back persona. x)

I say the lyrics are "chill" in that they're delivered conversationally, but they're by no means lazily constructed. There are millions of love songs out there, but not all of them are able to craft such a palpable, warm atmosphere around them.

Our dreams, they are made out of real things...I'm sure there are ways of writing without personal experience, but it makes me happy to know that Johnson has been married to his college sweetheart, with whom he has 3 children, for 16 years and counting (x).

Overview:

Genre:
Acoustic Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
Love is the answer,
at least for most of the questions in my heart.

Verdict:
the dream

3 comments:

  1. Me too...for everything you said...love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. i contemplated sending this one in! such a sweet, feel good song. Us The Duo does a really great cover!!

    ReplyDelete