Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Brand New Moves


"Next Big Thing"

Brand New Moves by Hey Violet

I'm surprised I haven't suggested a song by this band before, since I've seen these dudes live five times over the past year.

Plus, Hey Violet has been growing in popularity recently.

Compared to their previous release - the I Can Feel It EP - this one uses more synth and has a funkier vibe all-around. Lead vocalist Rena Lovelis calls it "a bit '80s style...really fat and big with a groove" (x). It's just, like, really cool.

Hey Violet has been working with some big names for this EP, and I think it shows.

That's not a dig at the band's talent - they all still participate heavily in the creation of their music - but it can't hurt to collaborate with the seasoned professionals.

One co-writer and producer on this track was Julian Bunetta (x), who has worked extensively with One Direction. He's behind such hits as Best Song Ever, Fireproof, Night Changes, Steal My Girl, Perfect, and Drag Me Down.

So, basically, he's credited on all of their biggest hits since 2014.

But I digress.

Hey Violet have been working with some big names behind the scenes, but they're also connected with big names on stage. They opened for 5 Seconds of Summer in both of the groups most recent world tours, including the time they played at Madison Square Garden.

All that experience has paid off, I'd say, as their live performances have improved markedly between the first time I saw them in August 2015 and the most recent time I saw them - last Saturday.

Plus, as I mentioned earlier, their songs have improved.

I can get down to all of their music, but nothing from the last EP was quite as fun or catchy or good as this. They're finally growing into their true potential, and their sound is maturing. Plus, speaking of mature, the lyrics are a more than a little suggestive.

The first and second verses are almost identical, lyrically, but you almost don't recognize it because they're delivered so differently.

The song opens with just a hint of the funkiness to come. Bass is bumpin', but the vocals comes in slow and sultry.

But then you get to the chorus, and it's kickin'. The second verse is designed to keep that momentum going. Lovelis sings basically the same lines as the first verse, but it has double the energy and goes by about twice as quickly.

And that's when I realized I was hooked.

Overview:

Genre:
alt pop

Favorite Lyrics:
I'm the lock, and  you're the key.
Won't you come and open me?

Verdict:
honestly such a bop

No comments:

Post a Comment