Thursday, September 1, 2016

California Dreamin'

Hurray For Covers

California Dreamin'

Recommended by Skye and Bella

Originally recorded by Barry McGuire, California Dreamin' is best known as a 1965 single by The Mamas & the Papas, the group which actually sang backup on the original McGuire recording.

Then, because he apparently still hadn't gotten his fill of this song, a vocalist from The Mamas & The Papas (John Phillips) recorded the track again, separately from his band (x).

I know, it's wild.

Barry McGuire

 

The Mamas & the Papas


Both versions include the balanced harmonies of The Mamas & The Papas, but only the first includes McGuire singing the lead vocals.

I don't hate McGuire's voice, but I prefer the choral sound achieved by the exclusion of a single prominent lead. 

The version by The Mamas & the Papas is a softer version all around, from the pillowy texture of multiple voices blending beautifully to the replacement of this harmonica (?) section with a lovely woodwind interlude.

Rolling Stones placed this track in the #89 spot out of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, which is not too shabby.

I guess a bunch of people agreed that it's a pretty tight track, because it's been covered like a million times. Pick your poison: R.E.M., The Beach Boys (of course), The Carpenters (sounds like a lullaby), Queen Latifah, Diana Krall (instrumentals alternate between jazzy and Disney af), Sia (very dramatic), Freischwimmer (dance-pop remix, kinda sounds like you should be doing the "cups" rhythm thing along with it), and even Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Some of those are actually really worth giving a listen. I suggest Ms. Krall's.

Do not recommend the Chipmunks.

Anyway, Skye and Bella suggested these versions:

Amason


I was instantly taken in by the silvery music-box-style intro, and Amanda Bergman's voice does nothing but draw me closer. Further into the song, there's a sound effect that sounds almost like bubbles in a tank of water, and then I swear there are sleigh bells, and I'm convinced they created this track with the dreamin' part of the title very clear in their minds.

Bobby Womack


This version is funky fresh. Listen to what he does with the rhythm and the ad libs. The phrasing is often bizarre, and it changes the song completely...and I'm kind of into it.

Favorite Lyrics:
If I didn't tell her,
I could leave today.

Verdict:
How could I possibly choose? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment