Monday, October 10, 2016

The Wolf


I've Heard Stranger Things

The Wolf by Tyler Bates

I had no idea what to expect with this track. For one, a quick Google search turned up the result that this is a Hip Hop track. I don't know about you, but I'm going to have to disagree with that categorization.

Tyler Bates writes music for film, television, and video games. Recently, he scored Guardians of the Galaxy, and some other popular projects include Dawn of the Dead and Californication (x).

This track is from the 2007 film 300.

You may also remember it from the 1999 film Titus, since that's where it was stolen from.

No, seriously, Bates's soundtrack for 300 came under fire for plagiarism from not only the film mentioned above, but also James Horner and Gabriel Yared's Troy (x).

One critic refused to give the album even a single star out of five (x).

To be fair, Warner Bros was able to "amicably resolve this matter" with the composer of the Titus film score, Elliot Goldenthal, so who really knows what went down (x).

Anyway, I think the track does a pretty good job of setting the mood. Maybe it's an exception; a god among men.

Full disclosure: I've never seen this film, but I still feel like I know what kind of vibe we're supposed to be picking up. It features "a lot of weight and intensity in the low end of the percussion" and really creates a lot of tension (x).

Overview:

Genre:
Soundtracks

Verdict:
unsettling and creepy, but not quite scary

No comments:

Post a Comment