Sunday, October 30, 2016

Mint Leaf


Sweet Like Honey

Mint leaf by Vincent Mango

Recommended by Jay

"Spotify rec'd it to me, and I was like 'why not.'"

This is the most common explanation given for why people send me songs. It works for me, though. I feel like maybe I should get on Spotify so it can give me these song recs directly, and we can skip the whole third party.

Seriously, though, thank you for the recommendation. I couldn't do this blog without audience participation.

I love this song. It took me a second, but I feel like I could enjoy this everyday for, like, an extended period of time. The feeling it gives me is soothing and gentle, but more than anything, it's just cool. It doesn't seem to try too hard, yet it still blows you away. Cool.

It's the track you want to be playing as you walk down a city street. It transitions well from the transportation montage to the bar, too. Okay here's the scene:

You're walking downtown at night. It's raining a little bit - not a lot, just enough to cover your jacket with a fine layer of mist. It takes you about fifteen minutes to walk to your favorite bar (luckily, the montage of footage is only about two minutes, so you still have some jam time left by the time you get to the pub.)

It's not crowded because it's, like, nine o'clock on a Monday. You order a drink and settle down in your usual location. The camera scans the bar, and the audience realizes the music is now diegetic; it's being played by the live band in the corner.

It has noir vibes.

I love the sound in general, from the percussion (especially that spare drum) to the keyboard to the electronic flute-sounding thing. They all work together really well to create that mood.

The mood is particularly important here because the lyrics aren't telling a specific story. It's more about disconnected scenes and images for me. The taste of the cigarette which, for some reason, is better than the taste of a mint leaf (...?).

I'm up way too late right now, and this track is putting me to sleep in the absolute best way, so goodnight.

Overview:

Genre:
Alt Rock

Favorite Lyrics:
and I'm just dreamin'
and you're just sleepin'

Verdict:
put me in a trance

P.S. I definitely didn't hear the comma during the first listen of the song. I thought it was "I been drinking too much honey" rather than "I been drinking too much, honey." Both probably apply to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment