Saturday, October 22, 2016

Cold Water


I Feel Like I Already Did This Song

Cold Water ft. Justin Beiber by Major Lazer

It was suggested that I do a Justin Beiber song tonight because I'm writing this at my friend's apartment as he gets Jusin's tattoos drawn onto his body for his Halloween costume.

This isn't actually a Beiber song, though his voice is featured prominently in the song. It's by Major Lazer, an electronic music group. More important credits: Ed Sheeran and Jamie Scott (who worked a lot with One Direction) also wrote on this track.

The other voice, by the way, is MØ. About her involvement, Major Lazer said:

You can tell if something’s authentic or not… I felt like she was so ambiguous, having grown up singing pop and punk… Her word choice and her metaphors are just so foreign from American songwriters who tend to overuse the same phrases. (source)

I like that they said this because the first thing I thought when I heard this song was that the whole "jumping into cold water" thing was kind of a weird thing to say.

Anyway, I think it's interesting how music can be released by so many different people? Like...this is a Major Lazer song even though the most obvious thing is Justin Beiber's voice, and it was written by a whole slew of people.

And, like, Uptown Funk is by DJ Mark Ronson and featured by Bruno Mars.

But on the other hand, you've got a bunch of songs released as "by x artist" even when the artist didn't play a part in the song's creation at all. For example, while the members of One Direction write on many of their songs, there are also a handful in which none of the five lads wrote any of the music or lyrics, nor did they play any instruments.

It's just, like. I don't know. Interesting.

Overview:

Genre:
Pop / EDM

Favorite Lyrics:
'Cause we all get lost sometimes, you know.
It's how we learn and how we grow.

Verdict:
This is what the costume is supposed to look like. Good luck, Reid.

No comments:

Post a Comment