Thursday, January 21, 2016

Unbreakable Smile


Sara Admitted It Was Her

Unbreakable Smile by Tori Kelly

Recommended  by Your Mom

It's a mystery to me whether this was recommended by a sassy friend, my actual mother, or a third party with a last name Mom, first name Your. The explanation of this song being a viable candidate "because I said so" doesn't clear anything up. I'm leaning towards it being from my own flesh and blood. Hi mom.

First of all, I love the beat. That syncopation is great. How do I even...one and TWO and three and FOUR. Drums are awesome.

Another awesome thing: the melody. This song is super catchy. It will be in my head for the next several days, I have no doubt. The la da da da dees! Nice. Also, the phrasing. Like...

The way she breaks up this phrase is so unexpected:

I guess we have / different / definitions of living.

And in this series of lines, it's unexpected how she doesn't break up the phrases.

So call me boring call me cookie cutter call me what you want a matter of fact just say it loud and don't st-stutter.

She's does that "no break" thing a lot. She's written a whole novel, and she sings it casually in under four minutes. It takes more finesse than one might think. I can't keep up. I've got the lyrics right in front of me, but I keep tripping over my tongue.

Speaking of lyrics, there are some bona fide gems in this piece. We've got sweetness and sass, the cleverest wit, and simple truths. It's kind of a joy to discover. I pick up on a new brilliant line each time I listen.

Beyond the poetry of the phrases, the meaning is clear and powerful. You have the power to be unapologetically yourself, your whole self, and nothing but yourself. If it's not the most original of all concepts, at least it's no less true now than the first time it was spoken. And she delivers it in a fresh way, which is what really matters.

Overview:

Genre:
R&B / Pop

Favorite Lyrics:
EVERYTHING

You start singing the blues when you start seeing the green.

I smile because happiness is all I have.

You'll find me at church, but that don't mean I can't cause trouble.

I'd rather make 'em yawn than be a pawn on your chessboard.

God made me sexy; I don't care if only I know.

Verdict:
A song about real things


2 comments:

  1. not my usual type of music, but i like it...really, your mom, my sister...huh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhh...it ended up being my friend Sara haha.

      Delete